Overseas licence conversion to Queensland licence

Overseas drivers are encouraged to read Your Keys to Driving in Queensland – an easy-to-read booklet on the Australian Road Rules and the Queensland driver licensing system. This booklet is available at newsagents, Queensland Transport centres and also online at www.tmr.qld.gov.au.

An overseas driver is required to pass the written road rules test prior to having professional driving lessons and undertaking the practical driving test. Exemptions do apply in certain circumstances so it is best to contact Queensland Transport for advice.

If you need assistance, Chevron Driving School can provide tuition to help you understand the Australian road rules, prepare you for the written test and arrange the practical driving test.

Overseas drivers are required to produce the following documents:

  • Current Passport / Visa
  • Current Foreign Driver Licence – in English
  • Customer Reference Number – provided by Queensland Transport after passing the written test.

As the legislation is quite complex and can change, we suggest you contact Queensland Transport on 13 23 80 for further clarification.